That's Right

...it's The End.

Thursday, December 18, 2008

also, Mayor Sheila Dixon talked about poopy diapers

So I went to my first Stoop Stories on Monday. It was fabulous. In case you're not familiar, it's an event in Baltimore where seven people (sometimes mildly famous, interesting jobs, etc.) sit on a stage and each tell a seven minute story surrounding a theme. So, take 6 things I love, combine them, and you get last Monday:

Baltimore + stories + Ace of Cakes + Christmas + the Meyerhoff + music = Monday

Ace of Cakes? you might ask yourself. Well, Mary Alice Yeskey, manager of Charm City Cakes, was one of the storytellers. She was, of course, quite entertaining and genuine. Also, Geof, one of her coworkers, was sitting in the audience near me. I was so starstruck.

There is also music from a folksy band, Caleb Stine and the Brakemen, and it was of course Christmas music!! And, AND, they started off the show by having The Westsiders, a (volunteer, I guess?) marching band from West Baltimore march through the aisles of the Meyerhoff.

Another portion of the show is when they select three audience members who have put their names in a bag to each tell a three-minute story after intermission. Well...I started thinking about what holiday-themed story I would tell if I were onstage. I'm sure there are many, but the one that stood out immediately was the Thanksgiving whale song story. I have never recounted this tale on my blog, due to its sensitive nature, but if you've never heard it, ask me.

Soon I started thinking, I really should put my name in the bag. My friends encouraged me to do so, but I told them I would be terrified if they actually called my name. My ambivalence was ended with this thought: You don't often regret the things you do, but the things you don't do. So, I put my name in the bag and felt all panicky and sweaty as I waited for them to call names. I imagined that if I was called, I would tell the story with such precision that everyone in the audienc would be doubled over with laughter. As I left the stage, Mary Alice would give me a high five or a cheer or some gesture to acknowledge my awesomeness. Perhaps my wit would move her so much that she would facebook me, thus beginning a lifelong friendship and full access to Charm City Cakes.

Really, I don't think I'm that funny. My storytelling skills don't quite match my writing either. They didn't call my name, thank God. But I'm glad I put my name in the bag.




ps: I was not at the September edition, which was animal-themed, but if you want to hear a classic Bawlmer accent: have a listen!

4 Comments:

At 11:51 PM, Blogger scott said...

oh gosh I'm assuming you are talking about the rat fisher. that was a good one. I'm glad you liked it, and found the podcasts!

also, you forgot "scott dance" in your equation.

 
At 6:22 PM, Blogger Änna said...

oh well, that was a given.

 
At 12:09 AM, Blogger B said...

So nice to read the re-cap. And I'm sooo proud of you for putting your name in the hat/bag. Aaaand, I really enjoyed the replay of one of the most enjoyable storytellers I've heard at Stoop, rat man. But, there was no mention of the ring story. Did they do that, and was it any good? The last one was kind of a let down. She only talked for about 30 seconds, and I thought "Why bother putting your name in the bag?"

 
At 11:51 AM, Blogger Änna said...

On the way there, Scott said he thought they were going to end the ring cycle, because it was getting lame. Sure enough, this was the last time. This lady talked - nothing in particular - mostly how she still has hope of meeting someone even after all these dating experiences for years. It wasn't blogworthy. They're still deciding what to do with the ring now.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home