That's Right

...it's The End.

Tuesday, November 04, 2008

hooray for gum paste and Baltimore hipsters

As you may know, I love television. I must admit I watch reality shows pretty often, most of which involve competition of some kind. If a reality show doesn't have competiton in it, it probably has drama between the characters, whether they be Orange County socialites or sarcastic families of multiples. One large exception to this rule of reality TV is Ace of Cakes, the show about Duff Goldman and his crew, who run a cake shop in Baltimore City. This bakery makes ridiculous cakes that resemble pretty much ANYthing a client requests

...such as other food items

...or Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.

The only drama in this show arises when fondant starts to slide or when a delivery is held up by traffic - never through backstabbing or self-centeredness. The chefs/decorators are still witty and entertaining without putting people down. Unheard of! They truly respect each other's creativity and seem to really enjoy working together. I guess it helps that the owner just hired friends to work for him, but what a great community!

I think the closest things to this type of community experience have come for me when people are working towards a common goal. I think more religious and social organizations should be project-oriented (and schools, for that matter!).

Now to figure out how to parlay my pumpkin carving skills into a job at Charm City Cakes...

9 Comments:

At 12:51 PM, Blogger KGoth said...

Amen to projects.
And you could go to culinary school to prepare for Charm City Cakes... or apprentice under Genelle at the Wecker's inn.

 
At 4:51 PM, Blogger anadangel said...

i love that show! i think! if i haven't watched it then i know i'd love it!

 
At 9:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have an idea. Let's start our own school. It can be sort of montessori-like. Kids learn through projects that they are interested in. No grades (ergo, no grading:), and no tests (no grading again!). Is this even possible nowadays? Hmm, I say we try it. I bet our students would still rock the SATs. hmm, this has nothing to do with ur post, but i thought of you and wanted to post. ~anne

 
At 10:31 PM, Blogger Änna said...

Ummmmm Anne, I work at that school (except it's not Montessori). My kids are assessed but not tested, and they are all very well-rounded. The curriculum is project-based and partially fueled by their interests. The only downside is it costs a buttload of money.

 
At 6:17 PM, Blogger KGoth said...

Or there are humanist schools where they let the kids learn through projects they are interested in ... but, if they are not interested and they don't want to learn your lesson, they don't have to. (But, personally, I would never want to work at a humanist school, because if I was a student at one, I would rarely go to class. And I DEFINITELY would not have learned ANY math or science). One of my teacher friends observed and interviewed at a humanist school and one boy just got up in the middle of a lesson and started to play the guitar while the teacher was teaching... and it was totally acceptable. I would not like that if I was the teacher.

 
At 7:48 PM, Blogger heALin said...

I sometimes watch that show when I'm homesick for Charm City. I used to to go to Dizzy Issie's, a bar just north of Charm City Cakes frequented by their employees and always wonder what happened in there. Then I moved away from my beloved Baltimore and found them on TV and all those questions were answered. I heart B-more.

 
At 12:27 AM, Blogger Änna said...

did you know they renamed it The Dizz (or at least changed the sign) because the CCC employees called it that? we considered going there the other night, and I wondered if we would run into Mary Alice...

 
At 10:58 PM, Blogger heALin said...

I didn't know that, but I did know that they have tasty burgers.

 
At 11:33 PM, Blogger scott said...

I always watched the show when I was homesick, too. We should totally go to the Dizz.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home