That's Right

...it's The End.

Wednesday, December 03, 2008

my class is studying the Arctic

Wolves eat musk oxen, hare, and lemmings. Musk oxen, hare, and lemmings eat grass. They don't think about it; they just do it because, A: That's what they have available and B: They instinctively know whether they're carnivores or herbivores. Their ecosystem functions and everything stays balanced because of it. If poachers went up to Alaska and killed all the wolves, the rest of the species would get out of whack.

I think it's largely assumed that humans are omnivores, and some people just opt out of their natural right to eat meat. But there are entire cultures of people who are vegetarians. How do we decide what we're supposed to eat and where we're supposed to live, in order to keep a balanced environment around us? We don't have any such instincts! We're the only species who has to sit around making a conscious decision about what animals or plants to kill. From an evolutionary standpoint, did we gradually lose our instincts? Is that a good thing or a bad thing? From a moral standpoint, does God want us to contemplate these decisions, so we can be consciously taking care of the earth? If so, what are we supposed to base these decisions on, since we have completely lost touch with the environment? Not only do we often not care what impact our choices have on the environment, but most of us just have no idea how we're affecting it.

I'm not just talking 'to eat animals or not to eat animals.' If you're vegetarian, shouldn't you just be vegan? It's certainly not natural to eat eggs. Some animals do that, but no animal I've ever heard of drinks any kind of milk other than its own mama's. And even if you're vegan, what plants are you supposed to eat? Should you import them, or is that screwing up an ecosystem too? If you're only eating 'local,' what defines local? As far as you can walk? As far as you can drive?

I think we've very much separated ourselves from nature, and we're ridiculously confused. I remember as a child, my dad would have family talks with us. One time, the talk was about eating healthier. We put so much junk in our bodies, he said, like microwave popcorn. Internally, I was screaming,

Nooooo, don't take away microwave popcorn! I love it too much! Eating habits are a really hard thing to change. Not only because we have such strong attachments to food, but because we know no other way. I don't know the natural flora and fauna of Maryland. I couldn't concoct a vegan menu if I tried. I'm sure 'ants on a log' would be the main course, and after that, I'm fresh out of ideas.

6 Comments:

At 4:09 PM, Blogger KGoth said...

Just make sure that your peanut butter does not contain partially hydrogenated oils. But, don't most raisins come from California? Central Valley, I'm pretty sure. At least you could eat celery. Haven't you blogged about that recently?

 
At 7:35 PM, Blogger Änna said...

I suppose celery is my mental default for 'vegetable.'

 
At 6:21 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Keep up your enthusiam for educating young minds. Your proffessionalism will help. I wish your loved ones well. Happy holidays.

 
At 9:48 AM, Blogger Anne said...

you should ask the "bee kid" what he thinks. miss you anna!

 
At 1:03 AM, Blogger B said...

Wow my friend, sounds like you are on my wavelength. I've been reading almost exclusively books about food for the last ~6 months. But actually many cultures have always eaten mostly meat because that was what was in proximity in their habitat. But that's neither here nor there. I think you're ripe for cultivating a friendship with the illustrious Michael Pollan.

 
At 11:32 PM, Blogger Änna said...

I don't know Michael Pollan. Is he/it gonna make me guilty about eating anything at all? cause I don't know if I can go there.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home