That's Right

...it's The End.

Friday, May 15, 2009

'first annual' is one of my favorite phrases

I like routines and rituals. Here are some that I've particularly cherished:
  • trips to the same places every year (Massachusetts, Lake Champion - I have a thing for lakes)
  • listening to the same 'car trip' music every summer (CSNY, usually)
  • eating with people who had the same breaks as me in college (ex: Monday Lunch, crossword and coffee at McKeldin with Emily)
  • playing HLH whenever possible with groups of friends
  • bedtime stories with my roomies in the summer
  • hot cocoa breaks with the roomies
I never feel like a particularly spiritual person. I don't pray a lot, at least not in the usual format. I don't study the Bible by myself very much. I don't do yoga or meditate. I don't go to confessions or anything. I go to church, but I don't know if that 'counts' in this category. I used to journal a lot, which was good for me, because I reflect best through writing (surprise surprise). That's partly why I make so many lists.

I think the most meaningful and helpful practices in my life are exactly the type of thing that I listed above: the little things that are important because you share them with another person and that person sees their importance enough to come back to them with you. Everyone should share at least one ritual a day. My prescription for life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home