That's Right

...it's The End.

Friday, March 13, 2009

I have the measles and the mumps, a rash, a gash, and 40 lumps

I write you this in the throes of death. It's 4:30 in the morning, and I just woke up after a fitful 4 hours of sleep. I felt very restless, and in my mind, my skin must have resembled a green screen weather map, with cold fronts and heat waves shifting all over the landscape. My eyes feel too big for their sockets and all of me is a little shaky. I tried to swallow some water, which for some reason is very difficult for my stomach to digest. Swallowing is a feat in itself, as this whole thing is no doubt caused by the routine rebellion of my tonsils, lungs, and sinuses against my general well-being.

Naturally, I managed to heave myself downstairs in order to check my temperature. My resting temperature is somewhere around 98 degrees, so anything is feverish for me. The highest reading I got just now was 101. Seriously, that's it? At school, that's our limit for sending children home. If they are under, we might wait and check again. For real? You're telling me that a 3-year-old little body feels like I do right now (give or take .6 of a degree), and we have them chill for awhile instead of going straight to bed? Madness.

Well, that was enough of a distraction for now. Perhaps I will be able to fall asleep. Peace out, well people. I might be taking my uninsured butt to the clinic for some urgent care today.

10 Comments:

At 8:54 AM, Blogger Jessica said...

You poor thing, I'd come take care of you if I could! Oh, and I think little kids can tolerate higher temps better than we can. If that makes you feel any better...

 
At 5:09 PM, Blogger Claire said...

it's true... strep was never as bad when I was a kid, strep in college felt like death.
Feel Better!

 
At 3:20 AM, Blogger Kelly said...

So sorry for your sad state! Hope solid dreamless sleep finds you and makes you well. Big California sunshine hugs to you!

 
At 3:21 AM, Blogger Kelly said...

Anna, the security word was "mallesis"...how ironic!!

 
At 3:15 PM, Blogger Änna said...

it's good to know that my kids probably aren't dying when they have fevers.

and thanks for the love! my fever is gone, which makes it much better.

(ps, I know Jessica hates my non-capitalization. I think about that every time I comment.)

 
At 4:26 PM, Blogger KGoth said...

Seriously, your job doesn't offer any form of health insurance?

 
At 1:08 PM, Blogger Änna said...

they offer it; it's just unaffordable. I'm going to get some independently, just as soon as I get myself organized and pick a plan!

 
At 4:43 PM, Blogger Jessica said...

HA! You made my day! That just makes it all ok... Well, sort of. I love you anyway!

 
At 5:04 PM, Blogger B said...

Did you mean "purple bumps," or was that creative license?

 
At 11:16 PM, Blogger Änna said...

oookay, so I guess I don't know the real words

 

Post a Comment

<< Home