That's Right

...it's The End.

Wednesday, January 28, 2009

also, if I had a band, I might call it The Blizzard of 96

Apart from being an incredible phenomenon, I love snow for how many memories it has created over the years. Here are some of my favorites:
  • spending whole mornings in the snow with Mandy and Sam - attempting to be the first ones in the neighborhood to step in it, sledding down the hill, and eventually coming in for cocoa and a movie while one of our moms put all our snowsuits and gear in the dryer
  • making tracks in the snow with Mandy at night, then later finding a drawing she made entitled 'The Best January ever' on my front step (fairly certain I'm not making this up)
  • it snowing on Thanksgiving one year in my entire life, and rejoicing with Bethany
  • sledding down the deck stairs when it was deep enough
  • playing in forts that Kirsten built out of the excess driveway snow
  • our hill being the snow day mecca of McGill's Common
  • stealing Diner trays to use on the Comcast hill before they stopped putting them out once snow was forecast
  • snow football (as if I played) on Metzerott and hanging out in Courtyards with a bunch of people afterward

6 Comments:

At 11:19 AM, Blogger Taylor said...

Hi Anna! First of all, hi! I've been blog-stalking you again and I love it, and miss you. Second, your post made be super happy because I remember half of those things too even though I didn't know you then because I am a Maryland girl too! The blizzard of '96 ROCKED, as well as the year of the Thanksgiving snow...that one was special in the Atkinson household because a possum (an oppossum?) showed up at our sliding glass door in the dining room right as we were eating dessert. So lovely, his little eyes glinting in the motion-detector light, the soft snow falling around his gray fur, his long pink tail looking so cold in the gathering snow...HA!

Man, I miss being a kid. But it sure is nice to get PAID for a snow day! Thanks for the nostalgia. ;)

Love, Taylor

 
At 6:19 PM, Blogger Änna said...

I wouldn't know about paid snow days anymore...but YES those are good memories and I'm glad your blog is revitalized too.

 
At 8:19 PM, Blogger Claire said...

Anna-banahna
I love those memories... its funny how fun-time memories can be so similar.
I was thinking, during my snow/ice/2 hour delay time, about how different it snow is now that we're older. It made me slightly sad... thanks for bringing back happy nostalgia.

ps- Can I be in your band??

 
At 5:49 PM, Blogger Änna said...

sure - you can have your pick of any instrument, since I don't play one

 
At 9:30 PM, Blogger Claire said...

k, well i don't either but i'm thinking cowbell.

 
At 10:44 AM, Blogger heALin said...

Then you could have the Blizzard Man on one of your songs...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home