That's Right

...it's The End.

Monday, February 09, 2009

my shins still hurt

Once you get a taste of spring, it's hard to go back! On Saturday, I realized how gorgeous it was outside and decided to...(pause for effect)...go for a run. This is a rare and glorious occurrence for me.

Rare though it may have been for me, it was not a unique idea. All of Columbia was out. The bike paths were so crowded that there was always someone around when I stopped running and started to walk. No shame in it, though. Any amount of running is a step up for me. I simply cannot stress this enough.

Anyway, I went from my house in Macgill's (spelling corrected from last time) to Elkhorn and around it. It was an amazing day! I was passing hordes of people in winter coats next to a frozen lake as I stripped down to my tank top, and I never got cold. I was just so happy - that feeling you get from the changing of the seasons when you realize you had forgotten what spring really was.

other simple pleasures of the trip:
  • being completely unencumbered by purses, car keys, phones, and cards of any kind
  • seeing the ducks and geese congregating in the few melted areas on the lake's surface
  • seeing all the multiracial Columbia couples, young and old
  • walking on the ice (I would have gone out further if there weren't so many people who would have seen me inevitably crack it and fall in a little.)
  • just sitting in the sun by myself...until I felt like moving
One small step for being healthy, one giant leap away from the numbness of winter.

9 Comments:

At 3:41 AM, Blogger anadangel said...

yayyyyyyyy spring!!!!!!!!

 
At 11:25 AM, Blogger Bertronium said...

wtg! you're efforts are almost inspiring enough to make me go out for a run. almost.

 
At 5:55 PM, Blogger heALin said...

What is this winter you speak of? I know of 3 seasons. Summer, Hot summer, and Cold summer.

 
At 10:48 PM, Blogger Änna said...

haha. if I can inspire one Bert, I have done my job.

and the other day was probably still colder than Cold Summer.

 
At 8:20 PM, Blogger Claire said...

I'm lovin the warm weather too :)
My roommate and I walked to the grocery store Sunday, which is a little over a mile each way. It was a delightful experience.

 
At 1:05 AM, Blogger B said...

I can't believe you went all the way to Lake Elkhorn and back! That's quite a hike for someone who has to pause for effect when announcing a run! I'm proud of you. I did not run today, but I went into a crazy sea lion cave and it was pretty amazing (don't worry, I have pictures and video).

 
At 1:54 PM, Blogger charlie said...

what about your awesome adventures in Bethesda that night!

 
At 6:01 PM, Blogger Änna said...

ps: I had an awesome adventure in Bethesda. I picked up some digits, and then had them revoked. also, that was the best Rice Krispie Treat I ever tasted.

 
At 11:36 PM, Blogger charlie said...

Wait, that bro with the awesome hair (rat tail and all) gave you his number and then took it back?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home