That's Right

...it's The End.

Monday, August 04, 2008

break me off a piece of that

I spent the past week in Massachusetts. I have previously described how amazing it is there and the nostalgia it holds for me. Today, I will just leave you with this gem:

We went to the grocery store to stock up for the week. My dad and I were just standing at the front of the Stop and Shop, looking at our shopping list, when I heard the voice of a middle-aged lady.

middle-aged lady: Do you think cats rule?

It took me a split second to take in the question. During that split second, I mentally went over what I was wearing. Did I have a cat shirt on? A cat sticker? Was there a cat following me? I must have been in some way representing cats, or else why would she ask me that?

As I attempted to comprehend the question and fashion an appropriate response, I looked up at the middle-aged lady and saw that she was holding a stack of about 20 cans of Fancy Feast. Luckily for me, before I had to answer her, she dropped all but 4 Fancy Feast cans. I was saved from the initial question and instead helped her pick up her gourmet cat food.

My dad, however, always makes conversation with everyone.

my dad: Do you have a lot of cats?
middle-aged lady: No, I only have one. We rescued her from a storm [blah blah blah...]

my dad: Well...she must love you.

Let me make it clear that my dad does not like cats, nor really care about their bond with middle-aged women. But, what else do you say?

I just wonder if this is a common conversation starter for this lady, and whom she chooses to approach. I'm more of a reptile person, myself.

2 Comments:

At 4:07 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

you could have avoided the whole episode by going to the Big Y instead. Those Spenc-ah folks ah wicked nutjobs.

 
At 6:41 PM, Blogger charlie said...

nobody rules the night!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home