That's Right

...it's The End.

Monday, May 26, 2008

anyhow, that's over now. we owe it to ourselves...

What signifies the beginning of summer for you?

I was trying to figure this out for myself recently. Is it the first cookout of the year, or the first visit to the pool? First beach trip, first snowball, first trip longer than a weekend? First time in a lake, first outdoor concert? First twinkle from a lightning bug, first evening sitting outside while the crickets chirp and cicadas buzz? Last day of school? Last big project? Saying goodbye to certain people or hello to old friends?

I love to set little goals and structure my life around milestones like this. I realized though, that it's no one thing in particular for me, but a feeling of freedom that washes over me at some random time. Maybe I'm biting into a hot dog or talking to someone while sitting in the grass, and I suddenly realize, This is it. I have nowhere to be but fully here. There is nothing more important than this moment. The responsibility of the last several months has fallen off my shoulders and I won't miss it one bit for the next few months. Everything I enjoy most about life, like spending time with people and eating delicious food and feeling grass beneath my feet, is no longer a luxury to be put aside until I've earned it but an everyday part of life.

Maybe this feeling is particular to my profession, but I can't help that believe because of the society most of us were raised in, we feel a certain freedom that comes with summer, even if we have a job to be at the next morning. Even if your favorite season is winter and you don't particularly love hot weather, isn't there a nostalgia that it brings? A sense that the things weighing you down are losing importance and all of nature is telling you just to chill out for a little while?

Well, either way, do you have a beginning of summer moment?

6 Comments:

At 11:08 PM, Blogger Seye said...

sitting outdoors at joe's crab shack at rio
4-person paddle boating at rio (all dudes)
walking around or just chillin by the water at rio

 
At 3:31 PM, Blogger Bertronium said...

Probably the first cook out or crab fest. speaking of which...

 
At 5:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

differs every year. this year, it was this past weekend which i guess is traditonal for all summer beginnings... but we had community dinner outside on the porch with spritzers, sushi, lanterns, wine, apple pie ala mode, music...

 
At 6:38 PM, Blogger Änna said...

I think this weekend would have done it for me if I were actually finished school.

 
At 8:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

last weekend DID do it for me and we're not finished school. I already started tossing things and packing things... and this weekend is going to be even more of a summer weekend. I'm even more done then the kids.
-C

 
At 5:21 PM, Blogger scott said...

i think i had mine last night when i saw a lightning bug after a thunderstorm.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home