That's Right

...it's The End.

Saturday, July 30, 2005

something new every day

I took Katrina to the lakefront tonight...like I said, hot date spot where I seduce all my women. It was livelier than last time, with a jazz band and a lady singing Ella Fitzgerald and Etta James. Tons of people, and it was looking pretty diverse. James Rouse would be proud. Well, diverse racially anyway; most people were looking fairly trendy and suburban, but that makes sense.
I was feeling very Columbia tonight. I got to show Katrina the People Tree and give her the history of the place. And show her the statue of Rouse and the bricks of all the people I knew who were around from the beginning. And we found Edward Norton's brick, and she was very impressed that he was a Columbian...not that he's really a big deal or anything, but we claim him. I always like telling people all about Columbia, or College Park, or other places I try to rep.


I found out an interesting HoCo fact myself today...

Disneyland was the first theme park in the United States, and opened in Anaheim, California on July 17, 1955. It was segregated.


A month later, The Enchanted Forest became the second theme park in the United States, when it opened in Ellicott City, Maryland on August 15, 1955. It wa
s integrated from the very beginning.
That just makes me smile.

then (although it's in color, so maybe in the 60's)




...and now

Happy 50th, Enchanted Forest!!!

1 Comments:

At 10:54 PM, Blogger Bertronium said...

Cool factoid.

It looks like Petco just took a bite out of that wall.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home