That's Right

...it's The End.

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

it could be worse

Today we went on a field trip to see a nursery rhyme performance. It was pretty engaging, but the child I was chaperoning wasn't having it. He kept getting up out of his chair and talking through the entire performance, about both relevant and non-relevant things. Part of it is that he has tons of energy, and part of it is that he likes to get a reaction. Sometimes I ignored him and assumed the actors would do their best to keep his attention. Sometimes I leaned over and reminded him it was not his talk turn.

child: There's my friend (turning around). Hi! Hi! Do you see him? There he is. My friend is back there. There he is. I can't do that [nursery rhyme]. What's going on? What are they doing? What's going on? What's going on? I want to go home. I have eyedrops. I have eyedrops. I have eyedrops at home. Is this the last one? Is there another play after this? Ya. Ya. Ya. Ya. Ya.
me: (leaning over close to him and using my serious voice) You need to sit on your bottom. Your friends can't see. You need to be kind to the actors and listen to their words.
child: (quietly)...Your breath smells like a muffin.

Oh, and as we were waiting for the bus to go home, he said he didn't want to go home, and he wanted to see another play. Go figure.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home