That's Right

...it's The End.

Monday, August 18, 2008

just put your foot right through here, right through the flonk

The thing about Jim is, when he’s excited about something, like the office Olympics, he gets really into it, and he does a really great job. But the problem with Jim is, that he works here, so that hardly ever happens.
I've been thinking about that (Office) quote lately. It hit me when I received the Noodle Doodle contest email and was immediately struck with the most inspiration and enthusiasm I've had in months. I got right to work drawing designs of my creation and rooting through the refrigerator crisper to find the right foods that possessed both tastes I love and complementary colors. I equally enjoyed the planning, building, and showcasing stages of this endeavor.

At some point, I vocalized it to myself. If only I could put this motivation to work in my job search...

Sigh. It's just so hard to know what I want to do. I mean, I want to teach, but something tells me that it is not going to happen this year. And that something is the fact that the good people from a certain county are not returning my calls. Looks like I will have to do something altogether different for awhile. I always think of things I want to do for a living, and those things are either jobs I'm not qualified for or jobs that don't exist.

I want to be a copy editor. I want to be the host of the whole Olympics. I want to invent the competitions for Noodles. I want to be on Ace of Cakes...Globetrekker host, person who designs the holiday-related cartoons on Google's homepage, drive-in movie theater owner, board game inventor...

My actual experience? event management, administrative work, and early childhood instruction

Imagine if a chunk of my resume looked like this, though:

Related Skills: playing word games, using impeccable spelling and grammar, identifying which celebrities people resemble, entering contests, imitating people, employing sarcasm, solving logic puzzles, making lists

People say Find what you enjoy doing and figure out how to make a living doing it. This, my friends, must be the biggest challenge of all.

4 Comments:

At 6:10 PM, Blogger charlie said...

copy editor eh? I know someone that works at a newspaper...

 
At 3:31 PM, Blogger Jessica said...

http://www.google.com/support/jobs/bin/answer.py?answer=105803
This is the only Google job that somewhat fits your requirements in your area. You may just have to move out near your sister! Google sounds like an awesome place to work.

 
At 1:37 PM, Blogger Änna said...

Thanks to both of you for looking into it. I actually took a job, so more to come on that soon!

I would enjoy working for Google someday though...

 
At 2:29 PM, Blogger peter hafer said...

a high five? i dole those out with restraint. not sure when you/you all were looking for a high-five though.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home