That's Right

...it's The End.

Sunday, February 03, 2008

Thad Thacker and William Wonka

Every day in my classroom, the kids come in, and there is a general chatter as many little conversations go on at their tables. The other day, however, something sparked one large conversation in which only one person spoke at a time, in a very serious voice. It went something like this:

kid 1: But God can save us.
kid 2: Yeah, God can.
kid 1: Cause if there was no God, the devil would rule the world.
kid 3: So that's why God has to save everyone.
kid 1: And you know how Satan gets his power? He gets it from the devil.
kid 4: But the evil people killed God, on the cross. And they put nails in his hands and blood came out. He was up there with those bad guys.
kid 1: And God was dead for 3 days and he went to the devil.
kid 5: No, he was only playing dead!

And then they kind of repeated the same things again. Makes me recall my own kindergarten days of evangelizing the neighbors.

5 Comments:

At 4:59 PM, Blogger Elli said...

so satan gets his power from the devil?? that just clears so much up for me.

 
At 1:04 AM, Blogger KGoth said...

My kids have conversations like that all the time. It's great. But, you'll often hear other comments like, "and then God told Joseph not to go to ANY church." That one confused me until I heard the same kid "quizzing" the other kids to list all the "major prophets". I forgot that a lot of my students are mormon and he wasn't talking about Joseph, son of Jacob, from the Old Testament. He was talking about Joseph Smith. One 2nd grader told me that when you get baptized an angel gets in you. It happens in 2nd grade. And he got a limo to celebrate.

 
At 9:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

some 6th graders had that conversation the other day, too.

 
At 5:59 PM, Blogger Änna said...

hey, if your angel wants a limo, give him a limo

 
At 1:45 AM, Blogger CGoth said...

I think i'm going to write my final paper in Systematic Theology on your students' theology - especially the part about Jesus just playing dead. I'm sure my prof will love that

 

Post a Comment

<< Home