That's Right

...it's The End.

Sunday, June 24, 2007

what bird doesn't have a back story?

I feel that many of my anecdotes involve birds (hawks breaking through glass, wrens getting trapped in my house or nesting in pots, birds dive-bombing my head, one-legged crows, etc). Maybe this is because I just notice them, or maybe my 9th sense is attracting birds with back stories.

Either way, a landscaping catastrophe left our yard looking like an elephant graveyard, and this little scragglepuff without a home:

He had 3 siblings, and we don't know what happened to them. He's not ready to fly yet, but he has no nest and nowhere to go. Just stuck in limbo. His parents have been spending their days perching high above him and squawking to ward off potential predators (read: me). Yesterday morning, he was gone. Draw your own conclusions.

Who knows, maybe he actually did learn to fly and ventured off to his new home. Home is a weird concept anyway. I've always considered wherever I am at the time home. I even call hotels home if I'm on vacation.
I guess I've had a different home every year for the past 4 years, but having people I love around me was a constant. Ergo, anywhere we went was home.

Now people are getting split up, and this sense of community is not stable. Now I'm at a point in life where I have to choose my home.
Now I've left little pieces of that home scattered about the state. I want to work in Silver Spring. I want to live in Baltimore. However, a hellish commute is enough of a reason for me not to attempt to pull these pieces of home together. My practicality wins again, and my heart remains torn. I guess I just have to continue to be at home wherever I am, and everything will be okay.

Also, scragglepuff may be the most fitting word I've ever invented.

3 Comments:

At 9:14 PM, Blogger Elli said...

haha scragglepuff is an incredible word. it sounds so cute and scruffy, just like the little bird.
i hope you come visit me in baltimore.

 
At 11:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A similar thing happened at my mom's house. Only, instead of a bird, it was a baby chipmunk. And it's not lost; I know exactly where it is.

It's decomposing on some grass at a gas station on Falls Road, where we dumped it after Jeremy killed it.

(I guess I should add that this was accidental. It jumped out of his hands. He has said he was squeezing it kind of hard, though.)

 
At 3:02 AM, Blogger Änna said...

I hope to come to Baltimore whenever I can, Eliz!

wow, that's...sick, Scott

 

Post a Comment

<< Home