That's Right

...it's The End.

Saturday, June 02, 2007

nerd alert

interviewer: So what can we expect from The Office next season?
BJ Novak: Well, we plan on jumping the shark. On the first episode.

Yikes. Straight from one of the writer's mouths (not verbatim, but close). I think he was doing that passing-off-the-truth-as-sarcasm thing. I also think he's probably a jerk, but he's right.

Am I the only one who believes the series should have ended with this past season finale? Take a lesson from the British. They ended theirs after only two short seasons. However, Americans are gluttons. I think the downfall of this show, as with many before it, is that we want complete gratification. We want Jim and Pam get together, even though we know well that most of the fun is in the tension. If they are simply a happy couple this coming season, we will have nothing to hope for.

I would like to give the writers a little more credit than that. There will still be some kind of tension for Jim and Pam, I'm sure, but it won't be the same. I would also like to give the show itself a little more worth. It's not all about that romance. Ultimately, it's a comedy about some quirky employees in a would-be mundane office in Scranton, Pennsylvania. Well, originally, that's what it was. Originally, the humor was found in the subtle moments surrounding the employees' interactions. Now, it is found in Michael Scott about to jump off the top of a building onto a moon bounce. All I can say is, David Brent would have never done that.

Now we can't expect the NBC version to be the same as the BBC version, and I don't. Ultimately, however, I think the US producers are more concerned with milking the show for all it's worth than with preserving its artistic integrity.

Will I be watching it religiously every Thursday? Dinkin-flicka.

2 Comments:

At 9:53 AM, Blogger charlie said...

oh how I love ricky gervais and what he started...

 
At 3:09 AM, Blogger Seye said...

yeah i think that's why there's pirates 3, rocky vi, terminator 3, 1000 versions of csi, and spin offs like that 80's show. they'll do anything to make a buck.

about your titles, that explains titles like "gotta go shower" they seem pretty straight forward. i guess i'd have to go back further to find one that doesn't make sense to me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home