That's Right

...it's The End.

Friday, September 16, 2005

this part is good, and that's well understood, so you should laugh if you know what I mean


Going out to dinner last night, Brita was listening to In Between Dreams when Better Together came on. Bleh, not my favorite.
"Uuuugh, can you skip this one? This is the one everyone always quotes in their profiles."
"No Anna, stop being anti-stuff."

It's not a bad song. It's just not the best, and yet it's the one everyone happens to suddenly love.

I'm not trying to complain. I got to see Jack Johnson again. I got to sing and dance ridiculously along to most of my favorite songs, except Cocoon, which would've been nice. I got to spend the evening with Jaymeliss and Beck the Birthday Girl, who likes to 'move like a jellyfish, rhythm don't mean nothing, you go with the flow, you don't stop' with me.

But...
His new fans are terrible. Ever since his latest sugary-sweet-pop album, Jack has a new following. A following of 15 year old girls. Looking around the pit in Merriweather as they all pressed unnecessarily against me, screaming like they were about to see Justin Timberlake and holding their moms' digital cameras on top of my head, I just kept thinking, Uugh, I wish this was a school night. Then half of these people wouldn't be here. It's bad enough to be that obnoxious. It's bad enough to get all your friends' moms to chaperone you and butt in front of everyone in line. It's bad enough to sing all the words to Banana Pancakes but not know any of the words to Fall Line. But when you wear a homemade shirt that says "I [heart] Jack's Johnson," you have crossed the line. Get out of my sight.

I'm not trying to whine, really; anything wrong with that concert, Jack made it all better. I love the piano on his new album, and he really puts on a good show. His voice is incredible, and even if his style has changed a little, he's still just so mellow and really talented. The encore of about 5 songs on acoustic guitar was just beautiful. A little Sublime, a little The News, a little No Other Way.

Maybe I've just been spoiled since seeing him with Ben Harper at Bull Run Park. I'd take that marijuana-filled field of chill people enjoying some incredible music to a bunch of teeny-bopping disco queens screaming and making me feel physically violated anyday.

I really did enjoy this concert, and yet, I'm torn... this was probably the best day of my life. Sometimes I just can't help fantasizing about that concert.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home