That's Right

...it's The End.

Thursday, September 08, 2005

don't you shiveeeeerrrrrr

It's one thing when it happened in high school where everyone knew me. It's one thing when it happens at staff meetings and my boss announces to everyone what's going on. It's one thing when it happens at IV and people laugh at me.

It's a completely different thing when I shiver in class where no one really knows me, my arms fly up, and the professor asks if I have a question.
"No, sometimes I just shiver, and it's very dramatic...and uncontrollable."
I could almost hear everyone thinking it: What a freak.
That is just plain embarrassing.

For those of you who don't know: I have some kind of problem. And you can think that I'm doing it on purpose for attention or whatever if you really want, but it is completely involuntary.

I get these spastic shivers. Or violent chills. Twitch, tic, spasm...I don't really know what to call it. It's a chill I guess, cause I think my skin sets it off. Whether or not I'm cold (but more often if I am), I shiver about five times an hour. Sometimes it's just a shimmy, but sometimes my arms fly up in the air and my shoulders convulse. If I'm walking, it occasionally goes through my legs.

It doesn't usually bother me that much; it's just a quirk, but it's getting OOC...Out Of Controlllll!!!

People like me are usually the comic relief characters in movies that slap people without meaning to or have to restrain their own arms to keep themselves from doing inappropriate things...maybe that's supposed to be Tourette's, I don't really know. My point is...I'm a freak.

I've narrowed it down to 151 disorders I could have. As good as I am at diagnosing myself, maybe I should see a real doctor.

8 Comments:

At 12:51 AM, Blogger Bertronium said...

Shivers are controlled by the hypothalamus. Research shows that "random" shivers can be a result of crossed sensory readings, which are misinterpreted by the central nervous system. Like apparently stress mixed with a small temperature change will set off a severe shiver. But also they say that euphoria and a slight body temperature change can do the same.

 
At 5:59 PM, Blogger Änna said...

hm...still doesn't tell me what I have though...crazy hypothalamus

 
At 7:08 PM, Blogger LC said...

i have them too. only my shoulders tend to shrug dramatically and my head does this really nasty twitch.

 
At 9:11 PM, Blogger Tessa Mckenzie said...

I have these shivers too; mine go directly down my spine and my body does this involuntary wiggle. and it happens to me whether i'm cold or not; but most times i'm a little chilled. however its not a "chilly" type of shiver. I experienced them since i was a child but recently i've been getting about 3-4 per day.I'm still searching for an explanation.

 
At 12:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I get them too. All of a sudden I'm sat in class and BAM. It passes all down my spine and it's more violent than a cold shiver and I get them even in summer. It's a pain really because it's a spastic kind of shiver and everyone notices it :(

 
At 4:28 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

i get them to my friends have started to make fun of me and call me turrett now because they think its turrets but i think its something neurlogical as i get a weird "electric" feeling in my spine arms fly around, head goes off to one side and i make a funny noise.. so maybe i do have turrets but i dont know.. feels kind of like i have excessive amounts of energy that need to be realised.. dono am i completly diffrent from you guys?? and i get about 10-20 an hour now compaired to 1 or 2 a month 4 yeats ago ( was also in a car accident about 3 years ago maybe that has something to do with it what do you think??

 
At 5:56 PM, Anonymous Anna said...

I get this, it's a build-up like a sneeze all the way up my spine and when it reaches my neck, my lower back muscles spasm, causing my upper body to jerk about for a bit. Sometimes I can divert them through my arm.

 
At 1:25 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I get this! Every once in a while, I'll just kinda spastically seize up into a little ball (not like I'm having seizures or something) and then it's gone. It feels like a chill, almost.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home