That's Right

...it's The End.

Thursday, September 15, 2005

Red Terp 4 Life!




SUBLIMINAL MESSAGED!!!

Not subliminal? You're right. It's a shameless plug.

Tomorrow is that exciting day that comes every 56 days or so...Blood Day!
I love Blood Day. There's something addictive about getting a pint of blood siphoned out of your vein while you sit in a reclined chair and squeeze a little rubber handle.
And there's always that nervousness I get at first, when they do the iron test...will I get rejected? 50% of the time I do, but that can't stop me from going. I hold my breath as the drop of blood from my finger floats at the top of the little test tube, knowing that they'll have to do the second hematocrit level test with the centrifuge, praying that my vitamins are working, and trying to send my body iron-rich vibes.
And then there's the triumph that comes if I find out that my blood decided to be cooperative, and I am eligible to give blood!!!
Next, I get to feel all tough when I can spout out that pint in under 6 minutes without getting dizzy. No, I don't need a can of Sprite yet. I'm cool.
Dizzy or not, everyone gets snacks at the end. Mmm, Famous Amos cookies.
On top of that, I get the brightly colored badge of honor, a stretchy bandage that lets everyone know, Today was Blood Day! And often, I get a sticker too.
56 days later, repeat.

So maybe you don't find it as exhilirating as I do to get a needle stuck in your arm after waiting like a million hours and answering a bunch of health questions (hint: the answer is usually "no"). Maybe you're not even a fan of needles at all. But here's the thing...this is something you can give absolutely for FREE. Maybe you don't have much money, but I am willing to bet you have some blood. And blood is pretty important to someone who is missing some. You are actually guaranteed to be helping save someone's life. Your blood will be flowing through someone else's body, maybe nearby, and they will be alive because of you. It's not that hard.

About 60% of Americans are eligible to give blood, but only about 5% do.

If you've been in some other country for some significant amount of time during the past year or have been recently stuck with unsafe needles or have come in close contact with someone who has West Nile Virus, then you are off the hook.

Otherwise, I will see you in the PG Room between 1 and 7 today.




1 Comments:

At 8:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yo... for realz... i feel you on this! i love giving blood... i thought ppl would think i was weird... but i'm so glad you are a fan of giving blood. i'd do it whenever i could if there were always opportunities i knew of.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home