That's Right

...it's The End.

Wednesday, June 22, 2005

the really ironic thing is...I'm gonna be a teacher

I need to stop being so freaking efficient in the morning, cause I get everything done and then sit here for the rest of the day. I start to look for menial things to do until I realize that I've already made enough copies of everything, and there are no office supplies left to order.

When did it become acceptable for me to have a 9 to 5 office job?
This looks like a rhetorical question, but it's actually not. I remembered a suppressed memory the other night at dinner.

You see, I was homeschooled for 3 years. And yes, homeschooling does have some harmful social effects if the purpose is to isolate the child from the outside world. I've known a few people who just don't know quite how to act around other human beings. Then when they tell me they were homeschooled I have to feign surprise. Oooh really? Actually, that wasn't the reason I was homeschooled. I asked to be homeschooled. I completely forgot that it was my idea in the first place! After I finished first grade, I made my mom take me out of school. And it wasn't because I was being bullied or anything. I was pretty popular in first grade, and I made all the other kids follow me around the playground. I think the reason was because I wanted to lie on the floor when I did my work. It may have also been because I liked adding big numbers and they didn't do that in first grade. I was a free spirit for those 3 years. I woke up late, rarely brushed my hair, did some work, watched SuperMarket Sweep at lunchtime, rode my bike for "PE," did some more work, then played with my friends when they got home. I never had any homework, rarely sat at a desk, and I even got to go to other kids' houses for art class. When middle school rolled around, I realized that staying home with my mother all day probably wouldn't be the best idea, so I said, put me back in real school, Mom. And she did.

In 6th grade, I hated school. I hated life, because it was completely driven by school. Every day I woke up and went to the same boring classes over and over again and sat in the same stupid desks. The free spirit with messy hair wasn't used to that. And I had at least 7 years to go. I realized how cow-like I was, responding to the bell by shuffling to my next class with everyone else. The irony of it was too much when the bell system broke, and they actually started ringing a cowbell over the PA. School was a Vicious Cycle designed to control the youth.



By high school, I got over the hatred. I guess they just managed to break my spirit. I got used to it. I started brushing my hair, which I guess paved the way for the bright future that I have achieved today. And that is the story of how I became a pawn of society.

2 Comments:

At 8:55 PM, Blogger Bertronium said...

I never knew you were homeschooled. Very interesting.

I still think you're very much of a free spirit, even if you did attend regular school and do work a 9-5 office job. You should see some of the people I've worked with in office jobs... man, talk about watching 'Office Space' in real life.

 
At 11:39 PM, Blogger Änna said...

thanks guys, I go where the wind takes me

 

Post a Comment

<< Home