That's Right

...it's The End.

Sunday, October 10, 2010

also I dreamt I was substitute teaching and couldn't do anything but yell and chase students

I had a vivid dream this morning.

I was sledding down a path through the woods on an inflatable air mattress type thing. It wasn't snowy; it was just the air mattress on pavement.

Somehow, I got this bird in my hand. Its legs were tucked under, and it wasn't flying. It was just this beautiful, sparrow-sized bird with big purple-blue eyes that kept staring at me. Its eyes were almost human.

I started talking to the bird, and I told it how much I loved it and I hoped its legs were okay so it would be able to fly. We just kept sliding down the path with the bird staring back at me as if it understood everything I was saying. Slowly, the bird uncurled its legs and perched on my finger as it got ready to fly. It took off, and my feelings of worry for the bird turned kind of bittersweet as I realized it didn't need me anymore and it might not come back.

As soon as that thought crossed my mind, the bird flew back. It fluttered around me for a second, then it flew behind me and got caught under the air mattress and dragged along the pavement. I reached back to free it, but by the time I got it out, its whole back had been scraped up and it was bleeding quickly.

I kept careening down the path, hoping to end up in this little city where they might have an animal hospital. As I went down, the bird's body went limp, and its eyes lost their look of recognition. I was overcome with guilt and regret. By the time I got to someone who I thought was a vet, the bird was already dead. I asked her frantically if she could help.

"Sorry," she said, "it's just-"
"Natural selection, I know."
"I'm just not really a vet."

And that was the end. Okay, gotta go Google the symbolism of birds in dreams now.

4 Comments:

At 10:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

interesting dream. birds are not on my "vocabulary" list of common images in dreams and their meanings. bicycles? check. teeth? check. birds? nada.

i too have had 3 nights of intense, violent dreams.

btw, teeth (in the glossary of dream images that I have): "often related to speech, although actual dental work may be indicated e.g. lots of teeth "too much talking," loose teeth "careless or loose speech," teeth valling out "verbosity, repeating gossip, unkind or untrue words."

any of that helpful for past teeth dreams?

 
At 11:47 PM, Blogger Jessica said...

Such a vivid description! The end made me so sad! You are a great storyteller. When is your book coming out?

 
At 9:21 PM, Blogger Änna said...

Brian,
You often dream about bicycles? That's fun. According to the internet, birds can signify hopes, goals, spirituality, and relationships. Dead birds relate to disappointment and failure.

Jessica,
Thanks! You know, I did compile a book of anecdotes from the past year, but you've read most of them. Most come straight from here.

tinti

 
At 8:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What I meant was that I have a list of common dream images and traditional meanings for them. Bicycles and teeth are on it, but birds are not.

I wish I dreamed about bicycles. That would be exciting.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home