That's Right

...it's The End.

Sunday, March 11, 2007

if you wanna rock, you gotta break the rules

All I want to be is Ms. Frizzle, Dewey Finn, and myself. All rolled into one. But apparently, I am just not creative, not risky enough, and guarded.

Who gives advice to a teaching intern that they need to fail more? I was literally told during a conference with my supervisor and my mentor that I need to try something I don't think is going to work, and I need to bomb a lesson. I need to come up with something crazy and go for it. So...I need to screw up more often? My mentor told me I need to let down my "Anna Guard," and my supervisor said, "Ooh, that's a good phrase!"

Ew.

People have been telling me my whole life I'm too guarded in one way or another. I mean, it's true. That's just who I am. And apparently, that's how I am as a teacher. That makes me want to crawl in a hole and sleep and never come out. If I'm not going to be an engaging, and fun, and crazy as a teacher, then why should I do it? I'm just going to feel stressed all the time, which I already do, and the kids are going to get bored, which I hope they're not.

I can learn more and do things differently, but I can't change who I am. So, does that mean this is not what I'm meant for? Gah, I don't know.


Alas, I am no Jack Black.

1 Comments:

At 12:33 AM, Blogger Elli said...

don't be discouraged Anna! I know you can be a fun, crazy teacher like Ms. Frizzle and that you can really care for your students like Mr. Feeney. And you'll add your own style to be Ms. Grothe. Student teaching doesn't define how you'll be as a teacher. You have time to learn and grow. I have full faith in you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home