That's Right

...it's The End.

Friday, November 25, 2005

my big fat family Thanksgiving

A friend of mine recently told me that around Thanksgiving, he kinda wishes he was a Grothe, cause we always have so many random/weird/good moments. Maybe the best thing I've heard in a while. And it's true; I am very lucky to have my crazy family. I feel like Thanksgiving has kind of a legacy in lots of families. Mine is one of them.

The Grothe family Thanksgiving (Thursday) is usually interesting enough in itself (stories for another day), but it's the Eaton-Mill Thanksgiving (Saturday) that is really an experience.

When it was only the Eaton Thanksgiving, it was about throwing things down the laundry chute, getting locked out of Grandpa's room and the tanning room by the older cousins, tipsy old people whose names I still don't know, making up dances in the basement, spying on my cousin making out with his girlfriend in the turtle room, and having a fake wedding for 2 of my cousins. Their song was "I Love You, You Love Me" from Barney. One year, Barney actually made a surprise appearance in the piano room, and one of my Grandpa's old men friends kept yelling, "I see a zipper!!"...but I digress.

It's evolved a little over the years. We've since added 3 step aunts and uncles and a (grandma) Diane to the former 7 aunts and uncles, and we've moved from my Grandpa's old house off Deer Park Road in Finksburg into a rental hall in Columbia. As my Grandpa's health faded, the tone got a little more serious. Now traditions include a speech from Diane telling us how much we mean to her, and a reading of the accomplishments of all the cousins. These may include parents bragging about their kids on the honor roll, or my uncle shouting out that his 18 year old daughter is pregnant. Like I said, the tone is only a little more serious. My aunt almost killed him, by the way.

See, the thing is: my family's crazy. Like soap opera crazy, but I'll spare you the details. Every year, I feel like new family secrets are revealed, new lies are told to younger generations for fun, and new people are added. If you are new, be prepared for torture. But, if you can handle them, they accept you with open arms.

The Eatons and Mills have been through a lot. Lots of really hard things I have never had to experience. And in addition to the dysfunction (perhaps because of it?), they are really good people. They have kept my Grandpa's legacy alive: valuing family, and coming together to celebrate life.

I am very thankful for Grothes, Eatons, and Mills.
Can't wait for Saturdayyyyy!!!

4 Comments:

At 2:29 AM, Blogger Bertronium said...

I got lost somewhere around the turtle room and the Barney part. Sounds like a blast, though!

 
At 4:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh man Anna. You have no idea how jelous I am that I'm not going to be there this year, or that I've missed out on the past many years. I think that some of my best memories were those thanksgivings. And I love listening to your memories, it just warms my heart.. Remember when we were in the basement and we had this meeting sort of thing and Kyle was heading it up, man he was such a funny kid. And the chut, I remember it so well. hah.. and one time i was lucky enough to be invited into your grandpa's room to play donkey kong.. Good times. I miss them and I miss you guys, (your family the most...)
-Bethany

 
At 1:44 AM, Blogger Änna said...

It's definitely different now, but still good...and yes, the meeting was so that Kyle could "sell this merchandise to someone who likes junk." The boys that age brought girlfriends this year. It's crazy!
Miss you too!

ps, Barney was my Uncle Larry in costume...just showed up one year

 
At 8:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

But the absolute best part of those early, early days was graduating from the kids table to the adult table.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home