That's Right

...it's The End.

Sunday, October 23, 2005

43 things

I've discovered the most fantastic website. It's just the thing to feed my ridiculous list obsession.

It's kinda cool though, cause I like to think about the things I want to do before I die, and now not only can I store them all, I can also see people who also want to do them and people who have actually done them. For instance, there are several people who want to learn to run up a wall and do a flip. And there was someone else who has done it, and gave them all advice. (Just let go of your fears and run up the wall. As you get better, start taking more steps.)

Once you do something on your list, you can move it to the category of "things you've done." I have 2 pretty nice lists going.

I was just thinking about how that would be a cool activity with my kids. First have them each list 5 things they want to do someday. (or I could make it more specific - something they want to learn how to do or places they want to go) Then we could listen to them as a class and see which things other students have actually done. And eventually, maybe we could all as a class learn to do some of those things or take a trip to some of those places.

But that's the kind of thing you can only do with older grades. I'll be certified up through third, so third graders could definitely do this. I've always imagined myself teaching younger grades, though. But, honestly, third graders would be so cool, since they are more able to actually create goals and dreams for themselves and for the world.

I remember in first grade, we learned about Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. and his "I have a dream" speech. But of course, none of us really understood what his dream was. Racial equality, what? All I remembered was that phrase. Then, we were all supposed to draw a picture and write what our dream was. I don't remember what I wrote. I only remember that Chris Tran drew me in his picture and gave me pink hair. Pff, who did he think he was? And I remember a kid saying his dream would be to make killing people illegal. Then Miss Himes told us that killing people was, indeed, illegal.

What I'm trying to say is that first graders don't think that big yet. They are amazing, but you can't do all the awesome activities with them that you can do with kids maybe in middle school. Alas, I have chosen early childhood education, as I am most interested in development in the younger years. I can only go up to third grade unless I (and I don't particularly feel like it right now) get another degree. So would I want to teach third? Can you even do cool activities like I just made up? Does it fit into reading, math, or science? Maybe social studies. Is there even time for that in the curriculum now? Or will I simply have to drill them to prepare for tests, leaving all their creativity, planning, and dreams behind?

Honestly, I'm not trying to be a bitter education major. Direct instruction is great. I just know that the public school classrooms I have been in lately are crazy. The teachers use specific methods that the school board probably outlined for them and pack in material so fast that the kids don't get a chance to think. I've seen teachers do reading lessons from basal readers, and all the comprehension questions come directly out of the book. Is she even allowed to make up her own questions? Are teachers given so little credit that creativity is not allowed in the classroom?

I really don't think I'll be able to handle that.

Wow, this post went quickly from "I found a fun website" to "what is the educational system coming to!?" and for that, I apologize.

Seriously, go here and make your own list of incredible things. And then, start doing them while you have the chance!!!

3 Comments:

At 3:08 PM, Blogger ~nathan~ said...

My dad starting teaching third grade this year and it's been interesting to hear from him about what it's like (he's not having the best of times) and to get a couple of chances to see it in action ... the way that it all seems exactly mandated does seem to discredit the ability of the teachers to be smarter than the school board.

but i guess on the other hand you need some uniformity across the system to cover for the few who probably wouldn't do as good a job teaching without the mandates.

maybe on the policy side we need to start giving teachers more time (longer days or a full-year schedule?) to teach so they can look into the more creative ways of getting kids to learn? i'd be interested to here a future-teacher's thoughts on that!

 
At 9:37 PM, Blogger Änna said...

My problem isn't that teachers don't have the time in a 7 hour day to be creative, but that they aren't allowed to use it. They're either forced to use certain methods or have to focus on test preparation or "90 minutes of direct reading instruction" and other regulations such as that.

Adding an hour or so to the end of the day would only give policy makers an excuse to add more academic content. Plus, it would pretty much suck for kids and for teachers to have to stay even longer.

These trends are ignoring all other aspects of child development; social interaction, physical development, and creative thinking are some things that are being left out of the picture. In exchange for reading, math, and science to some degree.

I definitely believe that schools need to be somehow accountable for having children from all backgrounds achieving at the same level so that they have the same opportunities. But let's face it, the government's goal for schools is not exactly to enrich the lives of youngsters. It's to create a labor force that will earn money, not cost money. That becomes obvious when "achievement" is the only goal in schools. I'm not saying it's not a valid goal, just shouldn't be the only one.

 
At 9:46 PM, Blogger Änna said...

but you seem to have overlooked my original point...43 things!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home