That's Right

...it's The End.

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

a blog is an awesome study in identity

Five years ago on this date, this was me.

Sometimes Young Anna was embarrassing, but I really admire her ability to see meaning in everything and her desire to be so intentional about living a good life. The part about the professor who was taking care of his paraplegic son and girlfriend stood out, because I completely forgot about that, five years later, and only remembered him being rude and insensitive. Also, the parts about "living on the surface" stood out to me, because I'm reading a book on meditation, and it talks about living on the surface of life and letting your mind run out of control because you are unaware of how to be in charge of it.

Yes, of course this is true for me. Two Years Ago Anna explains it pretty well here.

So, I was reading this book thinking, Yes, this sounds so good. I would love to have control of my thoughts and therefore live a life where I can be refreshing to others instead of entirely consumed with my own spiraling mind. Then the book mentioned twice a hurt elbow, just as an example of some distracting physical ailment. I laughed out loud, because I was sitting there reading the book with my arm in a homemade sling.

Yes, there is something to be learned here. There is something to be learned everywhere. I'm still skeptical of my ability to meditate.

5 Comments:

At 12:10 PM, Blogger Taylor said...

First of all, I love that you still blog and I love that I still follow it! Second, when I re-read that old post, I remembered it and though, "I think that was my favorite thing she ever wrote." Then I scrolled down and saw that I had commented that...it was my favorite thing you ever wrote. Lol. Third, it freaks me out that was FIVE years ago, and now I'm reading it with my BABY attached to me. Fifth, I had practically forgotten about the chapel in general! Weird. Sixth, I still love that post!

 
At 6:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just love that you still have a blog... and that it still has your uniquely Anna voice :)

What I do not like is that in 5 years I forgot how to do my fancy A with the dots on top... not that I'm sure it would even work on a mac.

the times, they are a changin.

 
At 8:41 PM, Blogger Änna said...

I love that you guys both still read! Taylor, someday I'd like to meet that adorable baby! I've seen so much of her in photos.

Claire, I don't know how to do it in a comment either. Only in Word.

 
At 12:58 PM, Blogger scott said...

On a Mac, tap option and U at the same time. Release. Press A. With a shift, if you like. Ä.

 
At 9:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

and now, ä belated thank you scott...
Thank you, Scott!

(mac's are so cool)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home