That's Right

...it's The End.

Tuesday, June 23, 2009

maybe I'm just jealous I can't conjugate a sentence anymore

At the pool I go to, there's this family who speaks French. I don't mean they're francophone. I mean, for whatever reason, they just speak French to their children, loudly, and with a 'Baltimore' accent.

Mowneek dee que too ay silly.

Apray tu a feenee, too peut m'accompanyay owh vwachoor.

Their fluency wasn't bad, but even the kids had terrible accents, and kids pick up languages well. I don't know, I can see the draw of raising bilingual kids, but it seems a bit pretentious to do it loudly, in public, when it's obvious you're not a native speaker. Like you're trying to prove to the other Dickinson pool-goers that even eating a Screwball from the snack bar is a culturally enriching experience for your family.

4 Comments:

At 12:27 PM, Blogger KGoth said...

Why do you go to Dickinson? MacGill's is not cool enough for you anymore?

 
At 3:20 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

gotta be the mushroom

 
At 4:13 PM, Blogger Änna said...

hey, I've been going to Dickinson or years. I've always liked the mushroom, the beach entrance, and the bigger crowd.

acieste

 
At 3:57 PM, Blogger KGoth said...

for years.

I guess once you can drive, it's the pool to choose.
MacGill's doesn't even have a snackbar. (Does it?)
But, do you really play in the mushroom?

cousne

 

Post a Comment

<< Home