That's Right

...it's The End.

Sunday, March 05, 2006

Magic in the Air

Okay, so I've been keeping something from you.
I've known about Pandora for a long time, but I never shared it with you.

Basically, you tell Pandora what you like, and it (she?) creates a radio station for you of other songs you might like.

It might sound like other things that exist, but it is much much better. Cause it's not based on genre or tastes other people have or ratings or anything. It's based on the music genome. Meaning, people analyze each song based on the instruments it features, vocal style, and a million other things I don't understand. Then you can give songs thumbs up or thumbs down, and it refines the songs they give you. And you can click on a song to find out why it played it for you, based on the music genome. Apparently I enjoy mild rhythmic syncopation, major key tonality (sometimes minor), and dynamic male vocals, among other things. What the heck is mild rhythmic syncopation? I don't know, but I like it!

I've also discovered bands that I was already supposed to like, you know, if I was a true music fan/snob. Like Sufjan Stevens. And Elliott Smith - didn't like him at first...too mellow even for me, but he grew on me. And I really like certain albums by Badly Drawn Boy. Ha. Found that one myself; nobody listens to him! And it's also been playing me live versions of songs I already love, some good jazz stuff, and lots of Louis Armstrong. Wonderful.

And then I've found certain songs that are just funny by obscure bands that I never would have otherwise discovered. However, I gotta say that it may be so indie/obscure that it is slightly lacking in other genres...certain songs by Bow Wow are missing, for example...oh well! It's bound to be added eventually. I mean, it was at the top of the hip hop and R & B charts...come on, Pandora!

That's my only complaint. Other than that, I am addicted.

1 Comments:

At 1:13 AM, Blogger Bertronium said...

Wow, that's pretty genious. Very neat and addicting.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home