That's Right

...it's The End.

Thursday, February 23, 2006

Whitetail


Tonight's experience was so traumatic, I felt the need to express it artistically.
I haven't skied in 7 years, so I started on the beginner slope. I had that down pretty quickly, so I moved on to intermediate (blue). All was well until, as you see, I missed a turn and ended up on a black diamond, careening out of control.

Now, I don't like to consider myself a scared person. But I was terrified. I wiped out really badly and then found myself in the middle of the mountain with no way to get down. I had to go back UP the mountain, as you can see, and there was no way to know that I would not end up on the black diamond again, endlessly throwing myself down the slope and going back up the lift until I died. What if I NEVER got down the mountain!?!?! Seriously, I lost my composure.

Someone I didn't know had to guide me safely back to the blue slopes, where I was so freaked out that I fell several times more and invented a move I like to call "Superman." You kind of slide down the slope on your stomach wicked fast for about a solid minute or two, collecting a huge pile of ice on your face. I didn't even try to stop myself. Just enjoyed the trip.

Anyway, it was a blow to my pride. Though I don't claim to be a good skier, I don't like to fall on intermediate slopes. And I DO NOT like to get scared and freak out. But falling is good sometimes. Where else can you completely wipe out, lose articles of clothing, sprawl out all ridiculous and in the way, needing help from strangers...and still be okay? Sometimes it feels good to just hit the ground.

It was wonderfully traumatic, and I was gloriously out of control.

4 Comments:

At 2:56 AM, Blogger Bertronium said...

That's a beautiful illustration. I don't remember the name of the black diamond section (deep drop?) but it was certainly fitting. To anyone else reading this, believe me when I say that freaking out was completely justified in the given situation.

 
At 6:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

HAHA! Well, at least you went down a black diamond. That last time I went to Whitetail the Intermediate Hill was scary enough for me.

 
At 8:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just nearly spit water (I should have known better than to try and drink while reading your blog)... I heart you Anna... yes, heart. I know the feeling, skiing in Montana with people who are better than you... they tend to tell you its "not that hard" and then you end up sliding head first down the mountain thinking "this is so much easier, and its so fast... I wonder if I’m going to hit a tree, dang I just lost my glove guess I should stop now"... it is indeed wonderful, glorious, traumatic, and out of control
-Claire
ps- i didnt sign my last comment... so just incase you didnt know, i was the country girl with no ice cream man

 
At 7:31 PM, Blogger Änna said...

it was Drop In

and I figured it was you Claire...I know your style

 

Post a Comment

<< Home