That's Right

...it's The End.

Friday, March 03, 2006

and also Fiona Apple was there


Despite the fact that it looked like I could crush tiny Chris Martin between my thumb and index finger, I didn't get to hear my song, and the crazy people in front of us kept getting up throughout the entire thing to get more beer, it was still an amazing concert.

Seriously, they put on a spectacular show, besides the fact that they're just incredible musicians to begin with. And every single song they play, you get all excited like, "Oh, yes, it's this one!!!" Cause every song is just that good. And the energy behind them, just creating that tension as everyone waits for that part of the song where it gets really good. And to hear the crowd singing along, and the changes they make in live versions! Aaahhh, just amazing.

I get sad when good concerts are over, and not to be a downer...but...in searching online for these pictures, I found someone's account of a Coldplay concert a few months ago. And, when I read it...it was exaaactly the same. I know when you go on tour, some stuff is the same, like those balloons during Yellow. But...the same covers, running into the audience on the same song, and the same exact encore? Can that even be fun for them? Does the energy really last? Do they feel like they're tricking the audience? Shouldn't a musical experience be something unduplicateable, to make up a word?

And don't get me started on encores...they're supposed to exist because an audience loved a performance so much, that they just won't leave. Because everyone in the room is so in awe of what they just heard that they simply will not let the night end without hearing at least one more song. Now they're contrived. Everyone stays for a few minutes just cause they know it's not really over. Then after the encore, people just leave. What if we actually stayed because we needed more? That would be a real encore, not a pretend one.

So, it sounds like I didn't have fun. But I did. I just loved the music so much I wanted the night to be even better.


Oh yes, and Chris turned 29 while we were there. So happy birthday to him! We were hoping Gwyneth and/or Apple would have come out, since they're probably with him on his birthday. Oh well.

No but seriously...amazing.

1 Comments:

At 12:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish I could relive it.

But about the people in front of us, we mustn't leave out the drunken falling and dancing and endless high fives, and the touching threesome moment during Fix You.

Contrived is a good word for encores.. but I can't complain cause Swallowed in the Sea and Fix You were my songs, along with 26,763 other people there.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home