That's Right

...it's The End.

Wednesday, December 23, 2009

kiss my bumper, just kiss it

So guess what happened on the way to work today. I bet you can guess. Ready? Go...


...


Did you guess that I was in a car accident? You did? Good job! Yes, on the way to work, someone rear-ended me at a red light. Not hard, but a definite hit. My first thought was, Really? Of course. My second thought was, Wait, I'm already getting the bumper fixed through the last guy's insurance. What should I say to this person? I pulled over and got out of the car. Here is what SHOULD have happened:

me: Are you okay?
other lady: Yeah, I'm fine. Are you?
me: Yes.
other lady: Hey, I am so sorry! That was my fault entirely. Here's my insurance information.
me: You know what? I'm already getting the bumper fixed in a few days, so no harm done. It's the holidays!
other lady: Are you sure?
me: Yeah, don't worry about it. Enjoy your day!
other lady: Thanks so much. Merry Christmas!

As I said, that SHOULD have happened. Here's what really happened after I got out of the car:

crazy lady: Oh man. I just tapped you! I bet there's no damage. We cannot get insurance involved.
Crazy lady crouches down behind my bumper and starts rubbing off snow sludge. Through puffs of smoke from the cigarette she is waving in my face, she speaks.
crazy lady: See, it's coming right off.
Indignant at this woman's disrespect, I sense a shift in my original plan.
me: No, look. There are scratches here. This is my new car!
crazy lady: Come on, can't we just go? It's the holidays!
me: I need to get it fixed.
crazy lady: Can I just give you my number, and you can get an estimate? I can't call my insurance.
me: Yeah, I understand you don't want to get them involved. Just give me your number.

Lady hits me. Tells me it's okay. It's the holidays? That was my line, lady! My line!

On my lunch break, I called the lady to tell her I had an appointment to get an estimate on the 29th. I failed to tell her that I had already set the appointment up a few days ago. Anyway, now I have a moral dilemma. Do I let Crazy off the hook in the spirit of Christmas and continue to charge the repairs to the apologetic guy's insurance? Or do I collect the money from her in addition to the repairs that are already being done? Is it okay to benefit from other people's stupidity, or is that sinking to their level? I honestly haven't made up my mind.

Four collisions inside of three months. It's time to give this car a name. Any ideas? Preferably one that alludes to the fact that it is indeed cursed.

5 Comments:

At 4:37 PM, Blogger scott said...

my guess was that you got a flat tire.

that is quite the moral dilemma.

 
At 7:24 PM, Blogger B said...

haha! (said in the voice of the gebco commercial guy)

 
At 11:35 PM, Blogger anadangel said...

Thumper.

Bumper made me think or that name. The rabbit in Bambi. I think itd be a cute name.

 
At 4:11 AM, Blogger Seye said...

I think My bad automobile luck has officially transfered to you. The same think happened to me in 2007. The 2nd rear end, I gave the money to my parents. The third time, I let the girl off the hook.

 
At 9:25 PM, Blogger Änna said...

Brita - I'm sorry to say it, but it was actually Senate Auto Insurance.

Seye - Thanks. If I didn't love a good story so much, I'd be mad.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home